There are two factors that can cope with type 2 diabetes at an early stage or alleviate the condition of a patient with type 1 diabetes: diet and physical activity. The impact of both factors leads to a decrease in blood glucose, reducing the devastating effects of diabetes.
What is exercise for diabetes?
Exercising in diabetes provides:
- Reducing blood sugar levels (during exercise, energy is consumed inside the cells, and they are able to absorb a new portion of sugar from the blood).
- Reduced body fat and weight control.
- Changing the type of cholesterol in the blood and on the walls of blood vessels. In medical terminology, cholesterol is divided into two types - low and high density. Exercise creates the conditions for converting a harmful form of cholesterol (low density) into another form (high density) that is beneficial to the human body.
- Transformation of neuropsychic stresses into motion.
- Extending the life of a diabetic.
What is possible with diabetes: aerobic exercise
All exercises recommended for diabetics are aerobic. What does this term mean?
Aerobic exercise does not give a significant increase in muscular strength, but this is not important for a diabetic. The main thing - aerobic training can reduce blood sugar and reduce the amount of body fat. How does this happen?
The main factor of aerobic processes - oxygen, with calm loads, it is always sufficient for the reaction to proceed.
- Walking, walking (without weight transfer, at your own pace, especially good after lunch, dinner or breakfast).
- Slow jogging (with preservation of calm breathing).
- Swimming (without competition).
- Calm cycling.
- Rollers, skates, cross-country skis (in pleasure, without competition with other people).
- Dance classes (without elements of rock and roll and gymnastics).
- Water aerobics.
What can not be done with diabetes?
- Run marathon distance.
- It is impossible to walk and run a lot for those who have developed a diabetic foot (you can swim and ride a bicycle), as well as those who have developed diabetic dry gangrene or there are constant severe pains in the calves.
- You can not do dumbbells with eye complications.
- Load yourself with an increased amount of ketones (acetone) in the urine - determined by test strips.
- Repeatedly perform strength exercises (pull-ups, push-ups, work with a barbell).
- Giving exercise at high blood sugar levels (not higher than 15 mmol / l).
Features of physical education in diabetes
- It is necessary to measure blood sugar before and after classes.
- Exercise can be after breakfast, diabetics can not be burdened with "on an empty stomach."
- The main criterion for assessing the physical condition during classes - exercises are performed until the appearance of mild fatigue, no more.
- Duration of classes depends on the degree of diabetes. For patients with severe disease, exercise time is limited to 20 minutes per day. With moderate severity - 30-40 minutes per day. In the initial mild stage of the disease, the recommended time for physical training is 50-60 minutes daily.
List of exercises for diabetes
Performed exercises can be divided into groups:
- Aerobic tonic to reduce blood sugar.
- Exercises for legs.
- Breathing exercises.
Gymnastics for normalization of blood circulation in the legs
The above exercises activate blood flow in the legs, prevent gangrene of the limbs and reduce muscle pain.
- Standing: to roll (transfer weight) on the foot - from socks to the middle of the foot and to the heel, then back to the toes.
- To rise on socks and to fall on all foot.
- Sitting on a chair: move your toes - lift them up, spread them, lower them down. Take a pencil toes and shift it to another place, alternately with each foot.
- Circular motion toes.
- Circular movements of the heels - with socks resting on the floor (this exercise works through the ankle and activates the blood flow in the ankle joint).
- Lying on your back is a bicycle - we twist imaginary bicycle pedals.
Each exercise is performed 10 times, the whole complex takes from 10 to 15 minutes.
Dumbbells for diabetes
Dumbbell exercise time for diabetics is recommended up to 15 minutes per day. We recommend the following exercises:
- Standing with dumbbells in your hands: raise your arms through the sides up and lower them down, carrying them on your outstretched arms in front of you.
- Raise one arm with a dumbbell above the head, bend it at the elbow and lower the hand with the dumbbell down to the back (behind the head).
- Hands with dumbbells raise and stretch to the sides. Move your hands from the "side" to the "front" and back.
- Dumbbell arms down. Raise the hand with the dumbbells to the armpits, bending the arms at the elbows.
Respiratory gymnastics for diabetics
Sobbing breath from academician Vilunas
This method is based on increasing the amount of oxygen entering the cells. Further, it stimulates the activity of beta cells that produce insulin. There is an increase in insulin in the blood.
The technique of performing sobbing breathing is similar to the technique of holotropic breathing (known breathing exercises for general strengthening of the body and psyche). Breathing in and out is done by mouth, while a large amount of air enters the lungs. Breath - short and strong, exhalation - long (3 seconds).
It is recommended to apply such breathing for 2-3 minutes several (from 3 to 6) once a day.
This breathing exercises are based on noisy short breaths with a nose with a frequency of 60 breaths per minute (exhalations are arbitrary, uncontrollable). Rhythmic breaths are combined with physical actions, which at the time of inhalation slightly compress the chest outside (rhythmically leaning forward, or squat, or hugging himself by the shoulders, etc.). As a result of respiratory gymnastics, the lungs are filled with oxygen and all organs and tissues are saturated with oxygen. The vascular tone is restored, the blood circulation is activated, which is necessary for diabetics.
The breathing technique of Strelnikova has proven to be an effective means of dealing with colds, viral infections, asthmatic bronchitis and heart attacks. The list of contraindications to classes according to the Strelnikova method is only the presence of internal bleeding.