Stevia is a perennial herb with a rich sweet taste of leaves. This property allows you to use the plant instead of sugar, by adding leaves to dishes and drinks.
A sugar substitute is manufactured industrially from a plant, which is a great success for diabetics.
What is stevia used for?
The main use of honey grass is to add to food and drink as a sugar substitute.
This is most justified for dieters, and if necessary, control the amount of carbohydrates in the body.
The use of stevia promotes the removal of excess fluid from the body, which reduces swelling and reduces weight.
Often used by the plant and for medicinal purposes. Its use is useful in case of refusal of nicotine addiction, when trying to replace cravings for cigarettes by eating candy.
Apply a plant for the prevention and treatment of diseases of the cardiovascular, digestive and urinary system.
Well proved itself healing infusion:
- In 250 ml of water pour 20 g of crushed leaves of grass and then 5 minutes from the moment of boiling over low heat. Leave to stand for a day. If you use a thermos, the time of settling is about 9 hours.
- Filter and pour into the remaining mass 100 ml of boiling water. After 6 hours of settling in a thermos filter and combine both infusions. Add infusion to drinks and cooked meals. The tincture is stored for no longer than a week.
To reduce the appetite enough before meals to drink a tablespoon of infusion.
To reduce weight, you can make tea and drink it before breakfast and dinner. Boil 200 ml of water, pour 20 g of raw material and insist for 5 minutes.
Infusion of leaves is used for rinsing hair. It strengthens the hair follicles, reduces hair loss and eliminates dandruff.
You can wipe their skin clean or after freezing, to dry oily skin and remove acne.
The crushed grass steamed in boiling water narrows well the enlarged pores, eliminates irritation and wrinkles, improves skin tone, if used as a mask. It is necessary to carry out procedures once a week for two months.
Benefit and harm
The popularity of this sweetener among diabetics and people who are overweight is due to the low calorie content of the plant. Only 18 kcal is contained in 100 g of fresh leaves, and in the extract the caloric content is zero.
In addition, in Stevia, there are no proteins and fats, and carbohydrates in it 0.1 g per 100 g of product. Thus, the replacement of sugar with honey grass, in combination with diet, will gradually get rid of extra pounds.
The plant has no harm to health and has virtually no contraindications, except for individual susceptibility to the components of the plant.
But the beneficial properties of honey grass are widely known and are successfully used in folk and traditional medicine:
- clears the vessels of atherosclerotic plaques, strengthens the vascular walls and heart muscle;
- improves blood circulation and reduces pressure;
- stimulates brain activity and increases physical endurance, providing the body with energy;
- inhibits the development of bacteria and improves tissue regeneration;
- normalizes the acidity of the stomach;
- stimulates the synthesis of insulin, which contributes to reducing the level of sugar in the blood plasma;
- restores metabolic processes;
- promotes the removal of toxic substances and slags;
- improves the functionality of the pancreas and liver;
- It suppresses the causative agents of viral infections, has an antiseptic effect;
- dilutes sputum and promotes its removal;
- increases the body's defenses and resistance to viral and catarrhal diseases;
- soothes the nervous system;
- prevents and treats diseases of the oral cavity, strengthens tooth enamel and prevents the formation of tartar;
- inhibits the aging of the body;
- has antimicrobial, antifungal and anti-allergic effects;
- relieves irritation, promotes rapid healing of skin lesions.
It is believed that the plant slows the growth of cancer tumors, promotes skin rejuvenation and protects the teeth from destruction. In addition, honey grass can have a beneficial effect on male sexual function, eliminating problems with potency.
The use of drugs from the plant helps to overcome cravings for sweets, reduce appetite and normalize metabolic processes, which can be used to effectively combat those extra pounds.
Video from Dr. Malysheva about sweetener:
Instructions for use
How to use stevia? Honey grass can be used in its natural form. Its leaves are added to dishes and drinks fresh or pre-dried.
In addition, the plant can be used in the following forms:
- water decoction of the leaves;
- herbal tea from the crushed leaves of the plant;
- plant extract in the form of a syrup;
- concentrated preparation in the form of tablets;
- dry extract in the form of white powder.
Considering that fresh leaves are 30 times sweeter than regular sugar, and concentrated extract is more than three hundred times, the use of preparations of plants of different forms requires differences in dosage.
Comparative dosage table:
|1 tsp||Quarter teaspoon||2-5 drops||On the tip of a knife|
|1 tbsp. l||Three quarters of a teaspoon||0.8 tsp||On the tip of a spoon|
|1 cup||Tablespoon||1 teaspoon||Half a teaspoon|
For the use of preparations of honey grass in the process of preparing baking or other dishes, it will be more convenient to use the plant in the form of powder or syrup.
To add to the drinks is better to use the extract in the form of tablets.
Fresh or dried leaves are more suitable for canning.
The herb does not change its properties under the influence of high temperatures, so it is excellent as a sweetener for cooking hot dishes and baking.
Indications for admission
The medicinal properties of the plant allow it to be used for the treatment of the following pathologies:
- Diseases caused by metabolic disorders. The ability of honey grass to have a beneficial effect on carbohydrate and fat metabolism, and naturally lowering the sugar concentration in the blood plasma allows it to be successfully used in the complex therapy of obesity and diabetes.
- Pathology of the digestive system. Stevia helps to alleviate the course of gastritis, improve the functionality of the liver, restore the intestinal microflora with dysbiosis.
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system. Regular use of stevioside helps to clear the vascular walls from cholesterol plaques and eliminate vascular spasms. This can be used to treat hypertension and atherosclerosis, helps to strengthen the heart muscle and prevent the development of heart ischemia.
- The plant actively fights viruses and inhibits the development of bacteria, stimulates the excretion of sputum. Therefore, it is advisable to use it for the treatment of diseases of the bronchopulmonary system caused by viruses and the common cold.
- The plant is also used as an anti-inflammatory and wound-healing agent for joint pathologies, stomach ulcers, and skin lesions. Broth stevia treat acne, boils, burns and wounds.
- It is believed that the plant inhibits the growth of tumors and prevents the emergence of new tumors.
Stevia is used to strengthen the body’s defenses and saturate it with vitamins, to rejuvenate and tone the skin, to strengthen the hair follicles and to treat diseases of the oral cavity.
Video review of the characteristics of sugar and stevia:
Contraindications and side effects
The plant has practically no contraindications, but some categories of persons should be used with caution and after consulting a doctor:
- lactating women;
- pregnant women;
- Small children;
- people with chronic hypotension;
- persons suffering from diseases of the digestive and urinary system;
- people with nervous disorders;
- persons in the period of rehabilitation after surgery;
- patients with endocrine and hormonal disorders.
It is not recommended to use herbs in case of increased susceptibility to composite components and a tendency to allergic reactions.
Do not use stevia drugs in combination with dairy products, in order to prevent the occurrence of digestive disorders.
The plant should be used with caution to people taking vitamin complexes and consuming large amounts of vegetable vitamin food, otherwise the pathologies associated with an excess of vitamins are likely to develop.
The components of the composition of stevia include such useful substances:
- arachidonic, chlorogenic, formic, hebeberl, caffeic and linolenic acid;
- flavonoids and carotene;
- ascorbic acid and vitamins of group B;
- vitamins A and PP;
- essential oils;
- Dulcoside and rebaudioside;
- stevioside and inulin;
- tannins and pectins;
- mineral substances (selenium, calcium, copper, phosphorus, chromium, zinc, potassium, silicon, magnesium).
What can be replaced?
What to do if you are allergic to stevia? You can replace it with another sweetener, such as fructose.
Only it should be borne in mind that fructose is rich in carbohydrates and can affect the increase in blood sugar. Therefore, it is necessary to use fructose with caution, especially diabetic patients.
There are many variants of sugar substitutes, both natural and synthetic. Which one to choose, everyone decides for himself.
If the need to use a sweetener is caused by a disease of the endocrine system, then you should consult with your doctor before choosing sugar substitutes.
Opinion of doctors and patients on the use of stevioside in diabetes
Consumer feedback on stevia is mostly positive - many have noticed an improvement in their condition, and besides, people like the fact that they do not need to give up sweets. Some people have an unusual taste, but for some it just seems unpleasant.
I have long suffered from diabetes and limited myself to sweets. I learned about stevia and decided to try. I bought it in the form of tablets for adding to tea, compote and other drinks. Fine! Now I have from it, and tablets, and powder, and leaves. I add everywhere where I can, even in conservation I put stevia leaves. Indeed reduces sugar and stabilizes pressure. And now I can not deny myself sweet.
Mariana, 46 years old
I tried to add leaves to food. Did not like. There is some unpleasant taste. But the powder went very well, as a sugar substitute. The pressure, however, both increased, and rises, but it almost completely got rid of the edema, which is already a big plus. So I recommend.
Valery, 54 years old
I also really like stevia. After my doctor advised to add it to the dishes, my health improved significantly. Most importantly, my family also gladly switched to this natural sweetener and granddaughter even noticed that she was beginning to lose weight.
Valentina, 63 years old
I am an endocrinologist and often recommend stevia to my patients as a safe and natural sugar substitute. Of course, the grass itself will not help to lose weight, because it can not break down fat cells, but it reduces the amount of carbohydrates in the body, which causes weight loss. Yes, and reviews of my colleagues confirm the effectiveness of stevia in preventing hyperglycemia in patients with type 2 diabetes.
Mikhail Y., endocrinologist
But I did not like stevia. I am a diabetic and I was looking for a suitable and natural sweetener, but after eating stevia powder, nausea and an unpleasant taste in the mouth began to appear, like a metal one. The doctor said that such a drug does not suit me and will have to look for another type of sweetener.
Olga, 37 years old
A disease such as diabetes requires strict adherence to diet with restriction of carbohydrate intake and exclusion from the diet of sugar.
In this case, sweeteners will help replace sugar. It is better to choose natural and safe for health sugar substitutes, such as stevia. The plant has a low calorie content and a minimum number of contraindications, which makes it accessible to a wide range of people.