Each person will be helpful to read this article about the signs of diabetes. It is important not to miss the first manifestations of diabetes in your spouse, elderly person or child. Because if you start treatment on time, it will be possible to prevent complications, prolong the life of the diabetic, save time, effort and money.
We will discuss the general signs of diabetes, as well as some specific early symptoms of high blood sugar in adult men and women and in children. Many people cannot decide for a long time to see a doctor when they see signs of diabetes. But the longer the time in this situation - the worse it will be.
The first signs of diabetes
If a person becomes ill with type 1 diabetes, his condition worsens quickly (within a few days) and significantly. Can be observed:
- increased thirst: a person drinks up to 3-5 liters of fluid per day;
- in exhaled air - the smell of acetone;
- the patient has constant hunger, he eats well, but at the same time continues to lose weight inexplicably;
- frequent and copious urination (this is called polyuria), especially at night;
- loss of consciousness (diabetic coma)
Signs of type 1 diabetes are difficult to overlook for those around you and the patient. With people who develop type 2 diabetes, the situation is different. For a long time, for decades, they may not feel any special problems with their health. Because this disease is growing gradually. And here it is important not to miss the first signs of diabetes. This is a question of how attentive a person is to their health.
Symptoms of Type 2 Diabetes
This type of diabetes is more at risk for older people than younger people. The disease develops over a long period of several years, and its symptoms gradually increase. A person constantly feels tired, he has poorly healed skin lesions. Vision weakens, memory deteriorates.
Usually, the problems listed above “blame” on natural deterioration of health with age. Few of the patients realize that these are actually signs of diabetes, and consult a doctor in time. Most often, type 2 diabetes is detected by chance or by medical examination for other diseases.
Symptoms of type 2 diabetes:
- common symptoms of ill health: fatigue, vision problems, poor memory of recent events;
- problem skin: itching, frequent fungi, poorly healed wounds and any injuries;
- in middle-aged patients, thirst, up to 3-5 liters of fluid per day;
- in old age, thirst is badly felt, and the body with diabetes can dehydrate;
- the patient often gets up to the toilet at night (!);
- ulcers on the legs and feet, numbness or tingling in the legs, pain while walking;
- the patient loses weight without dieting and effort - this is a sign of the late stage of type 2 diabetes - insulin injections are urgently needed;
Type 2 diabetes in 50% of patients is without special external signs. Often it is diagnosed, already when blindness develops, kidneys fail, a sudden heart attack, stroke occurs.
If you are overweight, fatigable, poorly healed wounds, vision drops, memory deteriorates - do not be lazy to check your blood sugar level. Take a blood test for glycated hemoglobin. If he is elevated, he needs to be treated. You will not be engaged in treating diabetes - you will die early, but you will still have time to suffer from its severe complications (blindness, kidney failure, ulcers and gangrene in the legs, stroke, heart attack).
Specific signs of diabetes in women and men
An early sign of diabetes in women is frequent vaginal infections. Constantly worried thrush, which is difficult to treat. If you have such a problem - take a blood test for sugar. It is best to find out in the laboratory what your glycated hemoglobin is.
In men, problems with potency (weak erection or complete impotence) may indicate that there is an increased risk of diabetes, or this serious illness has already developed. Because diabetes affects the blood vessels that fill the penis with blood, as well as the nerves that control this process.
First, a man needs to figure out what causes his difficulties in bed. Because “psychological” impotence happens much more often than “physical”. We recommend to your attention the article "How to treat problems with male potency in diabetes." If it is obvious that not only your potency is deteriorating, but also your overall health, we recommend that you go for a blood test for glycated hemoglobin.
If the rate of glycated hemoglobin is from 5.7% to 6.4%, you have impaired glucose tolerance, that is, prediabetes. It is time to take measures so that “full-fledged” diabetes does not develop. The official lower limit of normal glycated hemoglobin for men and women is 5.7%. But - attention! - we strongly recommend that you take care of your health, already if this figure is 4.9% or higher.
Signs of diabetes in children
Note if the child has the following painful symptoms:
- intense thirst (this is called polydipsia);
- urinary incontinence began at night, although it was not there before;
- the child is suspiciously losing weight;
- the child became irritable, school performance falls;
- skin infections often occur - boils, barley, etc .;
- in girls at puberty - vaginal candidiasis (thrush).
Signs of diabetes in children their parents usually take for the manifestations of other diseases: colds or digestive problems. Therefore, it is not always possible to diagnose diabetes in a child on time and immediately begin treatment to prevent the development of diabetic coma.
The following are urgent (severe) signs of diabetes in children:
- frequent vomiting;
- severe dehydration, noticeable dryness of the skin, and while the child continues to frequent urination;
- weight loss “as in a concentration camp”, external signs of dystrophy;
- the child has strange breathing — even, rare, with a deep, noisy inhalation and a strong exhalation — this is called Kussmaul's breathing;
- in exhaled air - the smell of acetone;
- disorder of consciousness: lethargy, disorientation in space, at least - loss of consciousness due to coma;
- shock condition: rapid pulse, blue limbs.
If a child has diabetes, then most often it turns out to be type 1 diabetes, and its symptoms develop quickly and acutely. Although since the beginning of the XXI century, type 2 diabetes is also very “younger”. There are cases when this type of diabetes fell ill children aged 10 years, suffering from obesity.
Recognizing the signs of diabetes in infants is especially difficult because they cannot speak yet. As a rule, in an infant, diabetes is determined when it is very sluggish (pre-comatose state) or falls into a coma. Parents should worry and contact the doctor if the baby does not put on weight in due time. Because it can be a sign of diabetes.
We recommend to your attention an article about the symptoms of diabetes. It explains the reasons for which patients have these or other symptoms, and what to do. Why in diabetes wounds do not heal well, and women are worried about thrush? Where does the smell of acetone in exhaled air come from? What causes increased thirst and diabetes? All these questions and questions in the article are given detailed answers.