Since 1993, the Russian company ELTA has been producing glucometers for the Satellite line. One of the most popular recent developments, Satellite Express, due to its availability and reliability can compete with many Western counterparts. As well as brand-name bioanalyzers, an indefinite guarantee is installed on the device, it takes a minimum of time and blood to process the result.
Glucometer Satellite Express
The device determines the concentration of glucose in the blood more progressive electrochemical method. After the manual insertion of the disposable test strips Satellite Express, the current resulting from the reaction of the biomaterial and reagents is measured at the device inlet. Taking into account the number of a series of test strips, the indicator displays blood sugar.
The device is designed for self-analysis of capillary blood for sugar, but can also be used in clinical practice if laboratory methods are not available at that time.. For any results, it is impossible to change the dosage and treatment regimen without consulting the doctor. If there are doubts about the accuracy of measurements, the device can be checked at the manufacturer’s service centers. A toll-free hotline is on the official website.
How to check the accuracy of the device
In the package with the device and the handle with lancets can be found three types of strips. The control strip is designed to check the quality of the meter when it is purchased. In separate individual packaging test strips for analyzes are packaged. Complete with a glucometer there are 25 of them and one more, the 26th code strip, intended for coding the device for a specific number of a series of consumables.
To check the quality of measurements in the kit of the meter there is a control strip. If you insert it into the slot of a disconnected device, after a few seconds a message appears about the health of the device. On the screen, the test result should be in the range of 4.2-4.5 mmol / l.
If the measurement result is out of range, remove the test strip and contact the service center.
For this model, the manufacturer produces test strips PKG-03. For other devices of the satellite line, they are no longer suitable. You can purchase any lancets for the piercing pen if they have a four-sided section. Our pharmacies supply consumables Tai doc, Diacont, Microlet, LANZO, One Touch from the USA, Poland, Germany, Taiwan, South Korea.
Coding the meter
You can count on accurate analysis only if the code on the device coincides with the batch number indicated on the test strip packaging. To encode the bioanalyzer, the code strip must be removed from the package of test strips and inserted into the apparatus socket. The display will show a three-digit number corresponding to the code for the specific package of consumables. Make sure it matches the batch number shown on the box.
Now you can remove the code strip and use the device as usual. Before each measurement procedure, it is necessary to check the tightness of the package and the expiration date of the test strips indicated on the box, as well as on individual packages and on the label of the strips. Damaged or expired consumables cannot be used.
Recommendations for the use of test strips
Even if Satellite-Express is not the first meter in your collection, you should carefully read the instructions before the first use. From the accuracy of compliance with the recommendations of the result depends to the same extent as on the performance of the device.
- Check the availability of all the necessary accessories: a blood glucose meter, a scarifier pen, disposable lancets, test strips with alcohol and cotton swabs. Take care of additional lighting (bright sunlight for this purpose is not suitable, better artificial) or glasses.
- Prepare for use pen-piercer. To do this, remove the cap and place the lancet in the socket. After removal of the protective head, the cap is installed in place. It remains to choose the depth of piercing with the help of the regulator corresponding to the type of your skin. For a start, you can set the average and adjust it experimentally.
- Wash your hands in warm water and soap and dry them naturally or with a hairdryer. If you have to use alcohol and cotton wool for disinfection, you should also dry the treated finger well, since alcohol, like wet, dirty hands, can distort the results.
- Separate one strip from the tape and tear the edge, revealing its contacts. In the connector, the consumable must be inserted with the contacts up, pushing the plate all the way down with little effort. If the code that appears matches the series number of the packing strips, wait until the image of the flashing drop. This symbol indicates that the instrument is ready for analysis.
- To form a drop for blood collection, gently massage your finger. To improve blood flow, firmly press the handle against the pad and press the button. The first drop is better to remove - the result will be more accurate. At the edge of the strip, touch the second drop and hold it in such a position until the device retracts automatically and stops blinking.
- For the analysis of the satellite glucometer Express enough minimum volume of the biomaterial (1 μl) and the minimum time - 7 seconds. A countdown appears on the screen and the result is displayed after zero.
- The strip can be removed from the nest and disposed of in the trash container along with a disposable lancet (it is automatically removed from the handle).
- If the drop volume is insufficient or the strip has not kept it on the edge, an error symbol in the form of an E will appear on the display with a dot and a drop symbol. It is impossible to add a portion of blood to the used strip; you need to insert a new one and repeat the procedure. Perhaps the appearance of the symbol E and the strip with a drop. This means that the strip is damaged or expired. If the symbol E is combined with the image of a strip without a drop, it means that a strip already used is inserted. In any case, the consumables must be replaced.
Do not forget to record the measurement results in the diary of self-control. This will help to track the dynamics of changes and the effectiveness of the chosen treatment regimen not only for the diabetic, but also for his doctor. Without consultation, adjusting the dose yourself, focusing only on the readings of the meter, is not recommended.
Test Strip Restrictions
The device is designed to measure sugar in fresh capillary blood, serum or venous blood, as well as biomaterials that have been stored, in this case are not suitable.
Acceptable hematocrit values are 20-55%; accuracy is not guaranteed for diluted or thickened blood.
For severe infections, cancer problems, extensive swelling, the analysis is not performed..
The device is not suitable for the diagnosis of blood in newborns, its capacity is not enough for making or removing the diagnosis of "diabetes mellitus".
Storage conditions and use of consumables
It is advisable to store the test strips with the device in their original packaging. Temperature range - from - 20 ° С to + 30 ° С, the place should be dry, well ventilated, shaded, inaccessible to children and any mechanical impact.
The conditions for operation are more severe: a heated room with a temperature range of 15-35 degrees Celsius and humidity up to 85%. If the packaging with stripes was in the cold, it must be kept at room temperature for at least half an hour.
If the strips have not been used for more than 3 months, and also after replacing the batteries or dropping the device, it should be checked for measurement accuracy.
When purchasing strips, as well as during their operation, check the integrity of the package and the shelf life, since this largely determines the measurement error.
The availability of service of the meter plays a crucial role in its choice: you can admire the advantages of modern multifunction analyzers, but if you have to focus on budget options, the choice is obvious. The cost of the Satellite Express is in the average price category (from 1,300 rubles), there are cheaper options, and sometimes they distribute the shares for free. But the excitement of such "successful" acquisitions passes when faced with their service, as the cost of consumables may exceed the price of the meter.
Our model in this regard is a bargain: on the Satellite Express test strips, the price is 50 pcs. does not exceed 400 rubles. (compare — a package of consumables of the popular One Touch Ultra analyzer, similar in size, costs 2 times more). Other devices of the Satellite series can be purchased even cheaper, for example, the price of a glucometer Satellite Plus is about 1 thousand rubles, but consumables - 450 rubles. for the same number of strips. In addition to test strips, other consumables have to be purchased, but they are even cheaper: 59 lancets can be bought for 170 rubles.
Perhaps, the domestic Satellite Express is in some ways losing to its foreign counterparts, but he definitely found his buyer. Not everyone is interested in the latest innovations, few diabetics of retirement age are addicted to voice functions, the ability to communicate with a computer, built-in puncturer, a large memory of the device with notes about meal times, and bolus counters.