Cholesterol is an organic compound that is found in the cell membranes of living organisms. A high concentration of a substance in the blood appears to be a serious risk of developing heart attack, stroke, and other pathologies that threaten the patient’s life.
Cholesterol, moving through the circulatory system, tends to settle on the walls of blood vessels, as a result of which the lumens are narrowed and plaques appear. In the presence of provoking factors - an older age, aneurysm, heart attack or stroke in history, the narrowing of the lumens causes serious harm to health.
When diet and physical activity do not help reduce the level of a substance in the body, medications are prescribed. They belong to the pharmaceutical group of statins and fibrates. Additionally, you need to use lipoic acid and omega-3.
Consider what drugs to reduce cholesterol can be taken with diabetes, what are their contraindications and side effects.
Statins - drugs to reduce cholesterol
Statins are chemicals that are focused on reducing the production of enzymes necessary for the production of cholesterol in the body. While taking these drugs, the concentration of HDL cholesterol - "good" cholesterol - increases.
Drugs in this group help to reduce the concentration of a "dangerous" substance in diabetics, because they inhibit HMG-CoA reductase. Admission helps to reduce the total content of the substance by 35-45%, and the "dangerous" component in the blood is reduced by 50-60%.
Clinical studies have shown that taking statins regularly reduces the risk of developing cardiovascular pathologies by 15%. The drugs do not have mutagenic and carcinogenic effects.
Statins cause side effects:
- Sleep disturbance, asthenic syndrome, headaches, bouts of nausea and vomiting, disruption of the digestive tract, diarrhea, abdominal pain, increased gas formation, etc .;
- Memory problems, worsening of general well-being, severe dizziness, peripheral form of neuropathy;
- Acute pancreatitis, cholestatic jaundice;
- Pain in the lumbar region, convulsive states, pain in the joints and muscles, arthritis, myopathy;
- In case of intolerance of the active ingredient or auxiliary substances, an allergic reaction is observed. It is manifested by skin rashes, urticaria, itching, erythema with exudate;
- Peripheral edema, impaired erectile function in men up to complete impotence;
- Rapid weight gain.
Statins in diabetes mellitus are prescribed taking into account other hypoglycemic drugs that are taken by the patient, because they affect the level of glucose and can provoke a critical decrease in sugar.
List of effective statins from high cholesterol
Many patients are mistaken in the belief that Aspirin helps to reduce the content of "harmful" cholesterol in the blood. Indeed, pills are prescribed to prevent diseases of the cardiovascular system, but they contribute to blood thinning, and in no way affect cholesterol levels.
Vasilip, a medicament belonging to the category of lipid-lowering drugs, helps to reduce cholesterol in the body, has an effect on the synthesis of a substance in the liver. Contraindications to use - acute violations of the functionality of the liver, an allergy to the components of the product, a steady increase in transaminase levels of unknown etiology.
Vasilip should be applied according to the recommendation of the doctor. The dosage varies in a wide range - from 5 to 80 mg per day. Most often the traditional dose is 10 mg. Adjust gradually from intervals of four weeks. The maximum dosage per day is not more than 80 mg for an adult.
The tool has good reviews. But its use must be combined with diet food, otherwise the effectiveness of the drug is significantly reduced. When the level of cholesterol returned to normal, the intake does not stop.
Harmless statins (ranking of the best drugs):
- Lovastatin. The active substance has the same name. Dosage form - tablets of 20 and 40 mg of the active ingredient. Clinical studies have shown the effectiveness of reducing cholesterol levels by 25%. Not prescribed during pregnancy, children under 18 years old, with hypersensitivity, against the background of liver pathologies.
- Atorvastatin is an inexpensive drug aimed at lowering "harmful" cholesterol in the blood. Take pills with meals, the dosage depends on the level of the substance in the body. As a rule, they take 10 mg at first, and the dose increases during the course of treatment.
- Simvastatin is a first-generation drug that favorably affects "normal" cholesterol. With prolonged use helps to normalize blood pressure indicators.
Other drugs may also be prescribed. This is Elik, Roxer, Atoris. It is necessary to accept it in that dosage which the doctor recommended. If the price of the drug is high, then it is better to choose a replacement with the doctor, without self-healing. There are medicines of domestic and foreign production. Practice shows that the second option is better, since Russian generics are significantly inferior in terms of therapeutic effect.
The use of hypocholesterolemic drugs in diabetes requires constant monitoring of glucose indicators, since statins affect the metabolic processes in the body, which can lead to a sharp decrease in glycemia.
Fibrates from cholesterol
In addition to statins (some are called “beds”), fibrates are prescribed to normalize cholesterol in the body. These drugs are derived from fibric acid. They are associated in the body with bile acid, resulting in reduced production of a substance in the liver. A decrease in lipids is also noted, which has a positive effect on the weight of the patient. This moment is relevant for diabetics of the second type.
Clinical studies have found that the use of fibrates reduces total cholesterol by 25%, triglycerides are reduced by 40-55%, while "good" cholesterol increases by 10-35%. The downsides are frequent side effects.
It is allowed to combine statins and fibrates in order to reduce the dosage of statins. The dose is determined individually depending on the age of the person, concomitant diseases of the cardiovascular system.
It is proved that fibrates to reduce cholesterol in diabetes mellitus reduce the risk of developing diabetic complications, especially in patients who suffer from gangrene of the extremities or retinopathy - damage to the retina.
Cholesterol drugs (fibrates) can lead to side effects:
- Acute form of pancreatitis, hepatitis, abdominal pain, digestive disorders, gas formation, the formation of stones in the gallbladder;
- Muscle weakness, diffuse form of myalgia, muscle spasms;
- Pulmonary embolus;
- Headache, loss of sexual desire, problems with achieving an erection in men;
- Itching of the skin, burning, rash, hyperemia.
The most effective drugs include Traykor, Normolit, Atromid, Lipanor, Bezamidin, Bezalip.
Herbal remedy Aterol gently affects the functionality of liver cells, as a result of which there is an improvement in fat metabolism, as a result, the concentration of "dangerous" cholesterol in the blood decreases. A modern drug has a lot of positive reviews, is sold only on the Internet, is not sold in a pharmacy.
Holedol is another organic "medicine." The main active ingredient is an extract from Amaranth seeds. The instructions indicate that the composition contains garlic, clover blossoms, stony oil, juice from blueberries and wild garlic.
It is noted that Holedol has a wide range of effects. Available in the form of a solution for internal use. Reduces not only the level of LDL, but also helps to normalize blood pressure, has a hypoglycemic property - reduces the sugar content. Structural analogues of the drug does not exist.
To normalize cholesterol levels, a medical professional may recommend other dietary supplements. They are not medicines in the full sense of the word, which should be considered when there is a high risk of heart attack or stroke.
Recommended nutritional supplements:
- Omega Forte contains fish oil, taken against the backdrop of high cholesterol. The drug helps to protect the body from heart disease and blood vessels, get rid of depressive syndrome and apathy. Against the background of problems with the pancreas should be drunk carefully.
- Tykveol. Indications for use: atherosclerotic changes of blood vessels, cholecystitis, hepatitis. The tool has choleretic, hepatoprotective, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects.
- Alpha-lipoic acid is an endogenous antioxidant drug used for the treatment and prevention of coronary atherosclerosis. A positive effect on carbohydrate metabolism, therefore, is assigned to diabetics. The tool improves the trophism of neurons in the body.
- SitoPren - food supplement, domestic production. Assign against the background of high cholesterol, trigleceridov, for the treatment of hypertension, atherosclerosis.
- Omacor is a safe drug that can be used to treat high cholesterol. One tablet contains 1000 mg of omega-3 ester. It is not allowed to combine with drugs that belong to the group of fibrates. Do not appoint children under 18 years of age.
To maintain cholesterol at the right level, vitamin therapy is recommended. Particularly needed folic acid, vitamins of group B. But vitamins should not be artificial, but natural - increase the amount of foods in the diet containing the necessary substances.
To achieve the desired result, the problem needs to be addressed in a comprehensive manner. Food should be low-calorie. Patients are encouraged to play sports if there are no medical contraindications. Non-traditional methods of treatment are used as an auxiliary method.
The products that reduce cholesterol in all types of diabetes include nuts, salmon and trout, black chokeberry, apples, garlic. From the drinks well helps ginger tea (preferably with fresh root) and green tea.
Flaxseed helps reduce LDL levels and lower glucose levels in the diabetic body. Seeds can be added to any food - pre-crushed with a coffee grinder.
- Grind 20 g of lime flowers. 250 ml one teaspoon of powder, insist 10 minutes. Take 70-80 ml three times a day. The duration of treatment is one month. This recipe reduces "harmful" cholesterol, removes toxins and toxic substances from the body, contributes to weight loss, helps clean the liver;
- Grind dry dandelion root to a powder. Take half a teaspoon before meals. The course of treatment is six months. There are no contraindications;
- Finely chop the licorice root. Tablespoon component per 1000 ml of hot water, insist day. Take 50 ml three times a day. The course of treatment is 3 months with a 10-day break every month.
If cholesterol rises above the permissible norm, medications must be taken, because the situation threatens with heart attack, stroke and other diseases of the cardiovascular system. Against the background of a lack of treatment, at best - serious harm to health, the worst option is fatal.
What drugs to take at elevated cholesterol levels are described in the video in this article.