As is known, the normal indicator of human glucose is 4.1-5.9 mmol / liter. With the increase of these data we can talk about the development of diabetes. To measure blood sugar, you need to use a blood glucose meter - a special device that allows you to take measurements at home.
Modern models are of two types - photometric and electrochemical. In the first case, the luminous flux passing through the test strip with reagents is measured. Blood is applied directly to the strip. Electrochemical glucometers are easier to operate, they work with test strips that absorb blood by themselves using a special capillary.
At the moment, diabetics are offered a wide range of devices, they are compact, light, comfortable, and functional. The algorithm of operation of almost all devices is the same. But to get accurate results, you need to know how to use the meter.
Rules for using the meter
Before using the meter, you should study the enclosed instructions and follow the recommendations in the manual exactly. The device should be stored at room temperature, without contact with direct sunlight, water and excessive humidity. The analyzer should be stored in a special case.
Dough strips are stored in the same way, they should not be allowed to come into contact with any chemical substances. After opening the packaging strips should be used within the period indicated on the tube.
During blood collection, hygienic rules must be strictly observed to avoid infection through a puncture. Disinfection of the desired area is carried out with disposable alcohol wipes before and after blood collection.
The most convenient place to take blood is considered the tip of the finger, you can also use the abdomen or forearm area. Blood sugar is measured several times a day. Depending on the type and severity of the disease.
To ensure the accuracy of the data obtained, it is recommended that the use of the meter be combined with the analysis in the laboratory during the first week.
This will allow you to compare the indicators and identify errors in measurements.
How to use the meter correctly
A sterile needle is inserted into the piercing pen, then the depth of puncture is selected, taking into account that the smaller depth is less painful, but it will be difficult to get blood on thick skin.
After this, the following manipulations are performed:
- Meter include, after which the device checks the performance and reports the availability of work. Some models are able to turn on automatically when installing a test strip in the socket. The display shows the readiness symbol for analysis.
- The desired area is treated with antiseptic and make a puncture on the skin with a pen-piercer. Depending on the type of device, blood must be absorbed independently or with the participation of the patient in the marked area on the strip. When you receive the right amount of blood, the device will report this and start a diagnosis.
- After a few seconds, the test result appears on the display. When an error is received, diagnostics is repeated, subject to all rules.
The sequence of actions when using a specific analyzer model can be viewed on the video.
Why does the meter give incorrect data
There are many reasons why a blood sugar monitor may show an incorrect result. Since often patients themselves provoke errors due to non-compliance with the rules of operation, before contacting the service department, you need to make sure that the patient is not to blame.
In order for the device to show the correct test results, it is important that the test strip be able to absorb the required amount of blood. To improve blood circulation before the puncture it is recommended to wash your hands in warm water, while gently massaging your fingers and hands. To get more blood and reduce pain, the puncture is not done on the pad of your finger, but by the assembly.
It is necessary to monitor the expiration date of the test strips and throw them away at the end of the operating period. Also, the use of some glucometers requires a new encoding before using a new batch of test strips. If you ignore this action, the analysis may also be inaccurate.
It is important to regularly check the accuracy of the device; for this, a control solution or special strips are usually attached to the kit. It is also necessary to monitor the device, to clean when contaminated, as dirt distorts the performance.
A diabetic should always remember the following rules:
- The time and frequency of the study of blood sugar is set by the attending physician, based on the individual characteristics of the course of the disease.
- When using the meter you should always keep in stock a battery and test strips.
- It is important to monitor the expiration date of the test strips; it is impossible to use expired goods.
- It is also allowed to use only those test strips that correspond to the device model.
- A blood test can only be done with clean and dry hands.
- Used lancets should be put in a special container with a tight lid and only thrown away in the trash.
- Keep the device away from sunlight, moisture and children.
Each model of the meter has its own test strips, so strips from other brands and manufacturers are not suitable for research. Despite the high cost of consumables, in no case can you save on their purchase.
In order for the strips not to fail, the patient must learn to act consistently during the measurement. After removing the strip, the packaging should be tightly closed, this will avoid the ingress of air and light.
It is necessary to choose a device for measuring blood sugar, based on the needs and characteristics of the body, taking into account the type of diabetes, the patient's age and frequency of analysis. It is also recommended to check right away when buying.
Check the accuracy of the meter as follows:
- It is necessary to conduct a blood test for glucose indicators three times in a row. Each result obtained may have an error of no more than 10 percent.
- It is recommended to conduct a parallel blood test using the device and in the laboratory. The difference in the data obtained should not exceed 20 percent. A blood test is performed before and after meals.
- Including you can get a study in the clinic and in parallel three times in a fast mode, measure sugar with a glucometer. The difference in the data obtained should not be higher than 10 percent.
The video in this article will show how to use the device.