Indicator test strips are designed for the visual determination of sugar in the body. These are single use strips.
They are necessary for patients with diabetes mellitus, patients with a risk factor or impaired metabolic processes of fatty acids. Often used for suspected violations of carbohydrate metabolism.
What are the test strips for the meter, and how to use them correctly?
What are we for?
Let's first take a closer look at some of the concepts. Glucose is a monosaccharide, which is considered one of the main sources of vital energy in providing carbohydrate metabolism.
Sugar is not the last controlled variable of human homeostasis. After he has consumed food, the concentration of glucose in plasma in an adult is always increased.
This indicator should not be more than 6 mmol / l. For this reason, all blood tests are always done on an empty stomach. The concentration of this substance in the body is regulated by a large number of hormones, the main of which is insulin.
It is produced in pancreatic structures. If the amount of this substance is insufficient, glucose levels may increase. And this leads to cell starvation. The range of permissible fluctuations on an empty stomach in a healthy person depends on age-related changes, general condition and other important factors.
The indicator should not deviate from such generally accepted values as approved by WHO:
- newborns from 2 to 30 days - 2.6 - 4.3 mmol / l;
- 30 days - 13 years - 3.1 - 5.4;
- 14 - 50 years old - 3.7 - 5.7;
- adults over 50 years old - 4.4 - 6.1;
- 59 - 90 years old - 4.5 - 6.3;
- more than 91 years - 4.1 - 6.6;
- pregnant women - 3.3 - 6.6.
The rate of sugar for women carrying the fruit, according to the WHO, is 3.3 - 6.6 mmol / l. It should be noted that the increased concentration of the substance in question is associated with the direct development of the baby. This is not a consequence of the presence of pathology in the body.
Immediately after birth, the indicators return to normal. Hyperglycemia can occur throughout pregnancy. Determining the level of glycemia with the help of test strips is an important stage in the diagnosis of carbohydrate metabolism disorders.
The level of glucose throughout the day varies, varying depending on the impressive number of indicators, which include the following:
- eating food;
- taking medication prescribed by a doctor;
- general well-being;
- intensity of physical activity;
- injuries (such as severe burns and severe pain);
- nervous and emotional stress.
According to the average permissible values of glucose concentration for non-diabetic adults, they are:
- on an empty stomach - 3.5 - 5.2 mmol / l;
- two hours after taking a meal - less than 7.6 mmol / l.
To determine the individual permissible level of glycemia, it is necessary to consult a doctor.
The importance of accurate measurement of blood glucose levels in diabetes mellitus
The regularity of this procedure depends on the type of diabetes. When this disease is very important to always know about the concentration of sugar in the plasma.
This is necessary because when hyperglycemia is detected, it can be stopped very quickly with hypoglycemic agents. A hypoglycemia, respectively, the use of sweet food.
How to use?
First you need to insert a test strip into the meter. This includes the device. After that, a finger is punctured by a lancet, and a drop of blood comes out. Next, it should be placed on the test strip. The latter is known to be necessary for determining the concentration of glucose. After that, the meter on the display shows the sugar concentration.
Types of plates and recommendations for selection
Bioanalyzer test strips are needed to determine the level of glucose. Without them, most models of blood glucose meters simply can not function normally.
It is very important that the stripes correspond to the brand of the device.. There are, however, options for universal analogues. Expired test strips or those that have been stored incorrectly only increase the likelihood of false results.
The choice of consumables depends on the device, measurement frequency, glycemic profile and financial capabilities of the consumer. It should be noted that the cost depends on the brand and quality of the meter.
According to the mechanism of analysis of determining the level of sugar test strips are divided into two types:
- adapted to photometric appliance models. This type of blood glucose meter is practically not used today - the probability of deviations from real values is very high. The principle of their operation is based on a change in the color of the chemical analyzer depending on the level of glucose;
- compatible with electrochemical glucometers. This type guarantees the most reliable results that are perfectly acceptable for home tests.
How to choose plates to the devices? Below are the most popular devices:
- to Accu-Chek Meters. Tubes contain 10, 50 and 100 strips. Consumables from this manufacturer have unique properties: capillary in the form of a funnel - thanks to this, it is very convenient to carry out a test; volume of biological material is rapidly drawn in; there are six electrodes needed for quality control; there is a reminder of the expiration date; there is protection from water and high temperature regimes; there is the possibility of additional application of biological material. It is important to note that consumables use only capillary blood. The test results appear on the display ten seconds later;
- GlucoDR to the AGM 2100 tester. The test strips of the same name will fit this meter. Very often they come bundled with the device itself;
- to the contour tester. Consumables are sold in packs of 25 and 50 pieces. This material retains its functional qualities for six months after unpacking. There is one important detail - you can add a plasma on the same strip if it is insufficiently applied;
- to Longevita. Test strips for this model of blood glucose meters can be purchased in high-quality packaging of 25 pieces. The pack well protects from dampness, aggressive ultraviolet radiation, as well as various contaminants. This expendable material is intended for processing capillary blood for a time period that takes ten seconds;
- to the device Bionime. In the packaging of the Swiss company you can find 25 or 50 high-strength plastic strips. Approximately 1.5 μl of blood is required for analysis. The design of the strips is very convenient in operation;
- consumables Satellite. This material for blood glucose meters is sold in 25 or 50 pieces. Work strips on the electrochemical method. It should be noted that the results of the conducted studies are very close to the generally accepted standards;
- to the device One Touch. Test strips for this analyzer can be purchased in quantities of 25, 50 and 100 pieces. They are made in the USA. This consumable is well protected from contact with air and moisture. That is why it can be bought anywhere without fear of buying low-quality products. The code to enter into the device at the very beginning is enough to make only one time. Then there will be no such need. It is impossible to spoil the final result by incorrectly inserting the strip. This crucial process, as well as the minimum amount of plasma required for the test, is controlled by special devices. For more accurate and correct research, not only fingers are suitable, but also other areas (these can also be hands and forearms). The shelf life of the purchased package is usually six months from the date of manufacture indicated on the pack. This expendable material can be used both in house conditions, and on rest or the nature. Storage conditions allow you to carry strips with you.
Can I use test strips from another meter?
As noted earlier, each device has its own consumables. But there are exceptions. Some devices are designed for different types of test strips.
Test strips for determining blood sugar without an instrument
For this purpose, visual test strips are used. They help to carry out rapid diagnostics, which is convenient in that the strips are easy to use and can always be carried with you.
Shelf life and storage conditions
The duration of use is always indicated on the packaging of the consumable. As for storage conditions, they should be kept away from direct sunlight and moisture.
The strips should be stored at optimum temperature conditions of 3 to 10 degrees Celsius.. Do not remove them from the packaging.
Price and where to buy
They can be purchased at any pharmacy or specialized online stores. The cost varies depending on the number of strips in the package and brand of product.
All you need to know about test strips for blood glucose meters:
Progress does not stand still, and today you can get a meter, the principle of which is based on a non-invasive method. Such a device can measure blood sugar by saliva or tear fluid.