Among all artificial sugar substitutes, isomalt is the most famous and popular. This sweetener is very useful in diabetes when natural sugar is taboo. But first of all it is a biologically active additive, created by chemical means. Therefore, we must remember that isomalt has contraindications. To use it recklessly, without consulting with a doctor, it is impossible.
Diabetics should know exactly what the real harm and benefits of this substance are: with such a diagnosis, the slightest missteps can turn into the most dire consequences.
Isomalt - the main properties
Isomalt sweetener was first produced in the laboratory by more than half a century ago. For several decades it was enough to thoroughly study both the benefits of diabetes from this substance and the fact that isomalt can bring harm.
The advantages of isomalt include its properties:
- Maintain an optimal environment in the mouth;
- Restoring the balance of enzymes in the digestive tract;
- Improving metabolic processes throughout the body.
Therefore, isomalt is recommended as a dietary supplement not only for diabetics and patients suffering from the pathologies of the digestive system, but also for all healthy people leading an active lifestyle.
Isomalt is of two types: natural and synthetic. In addition, the substance differs in intensity of taste and constituents. It is based on sucrose - this is the reason for the benefit for all those suffering from diabetes.
The level of glucose in the blood at the use of this sugar substitute practically does not change - it is absorbed very slowly. Because of this supplement, the feedback is almost always positive. Exceptions are only in the case of non-compliance with the dosages and recommendations of a nutritionist.
Isomalt sweetener - harm and contraindications
In very rare cases, isomalt is contraindicated. It:
- Pregnancy especially in early or late periods;
- Diabetes mellitus as a side effect of some genetically determined diseases;
- Serious pathology of any internal organ with complete failure of functioning.
Under great doubt, the use of isomalt in children: it often causes allergic reactions.
Isomalt application areas
This substance is available both in pure form in the form of powder, capsules or tablets, and as part of a variety of sweets for diabetics and all those who are forced to follow a dietary diet. Dark chocolate and caramel made on the basis of isomalt are very popular.
It is also added as a sweetener to medications for patients with diabetes. Many of them are bitter and unpleasant in taste, isomalt is able to mask this flaw.
Additive low-calorie: one gram of product contains only 2.4 kcal. Here is another explanation for its popularity among diabetics. But, nevertheless, it is necessary to observe the dosage and not to get involved in isomalt, especially in the composition of jam, confiture, roasting and sweets.
Recommendations for use
If the drug is used in its pure form, the daily dose is determined only by the attending physician, and in no case can it be exceeded - as well as reduced. Only then will the real benefits of the supplement be felt. Usually, a sweetener is prescribed as a therapeutic drug twice a day, like the sweetener Rio Gold, for which we have a separate article.
If the sweetener is used in the composition of dishes and products, then the recommended dose at a time is 50 grams of chocolate, marmalade or caramel. This is more than enough to satisfy the need and appetite for sweets.
Carbohydrates, which are contained in isomalt, are almost not absorbed by the intestine. That is why it is recommended as a sugar analogue for diabetics. If caramel contains only sugar substitutes and water, then chocolate also contains antioxidants, vitamins of group B, caffeine and other trace elements that beneficially affect the functioning of the brain, central nervous system, and also prevent blood clots from forming.
Isomalt sweets recipes
Sweets with isomalt can be cooked with your own hands at home. No special ingredients are needed for this. But you can be sure that there are no harmful additives in the resulting product. In addition, it is easy to accurately calculate its calorie content.
- Chocolate with isomalt. You will need a handful of cocoa beans - you can buy dietary in a specialty store. As well as some skimmed milk and isomalt. Sweetener for one portion is enough 10 gr. Cocoa beans need to grind into a powder, then combine all the ingredients in a skillet, put on an electric stove or water bath. The mixture should be prepared with a slight heat to thicken. Then natural flavors are added to liquid chocolate — vanilla, cinnamon — some ground nuts, if the diet prescribed by the doctor allows. After this, the mass is poured into a mold or simply onto a board, leveled with a knife and left to set. This kind of chocolate will not only be tasty, but also very useful for anyone who suffers from high blood sugar levels. In small quantities, it can be eaten daily. But doctors recommend taking short breaks so that the body does not get used to isomalt and caffeine.
- Cherry diet cake. To make this dessert at home, you will need wholemeal flour, an egg, a little salt and a sugar substitute - no more than 30 grams. And, of course, a glass of ripe fresh pitted cherries. First, prepare the dough from flour, eggs, salt and sweetener. For aroma, you can add a little lemon zest to it. Then cherry is poured. The dough should be thoroughly mixed, put in the form and bake. When a ruddy crust forms on the surface, you should check the readiness with a toothpick. It is strictly forbidden to use the under-treated product with diabetes mellitus. After the cake is completely baked, you need to get it out of the oven and cool it completely. The main requirement - not to eat hot dessert, it can seriously harm the body.
- Cranberry jelly with isomalt. A glass of fresh berries to rub through a sieve, combine with isomalt (it will need one tablespoon), add a glass of water. Put the mixture on the fire, bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes. Then add pre-soaked in water gelatin - about 15 grams. Remove from heat. Stir the mixture until the grains of gelatin are completely dissolved, pour into molds, cool, and then put in the fridge to solidify. On the day, no more than one serving of such jelly is allowed - all of them should be obtained from a specified amount of ingredients 4-5.
These are not the only recipes in which sugar can be replaced by isomalt, and thus make many sweets for diabetics. It is important to first consult with a doctor who is well acquainted with the history of the disease and the physiological characteristics of the patient.
If you follow the dosage and recommendations on the use of artificial sugar substitute will only benefit, make the menu more diverse, and life is more joyful and tastier, even with such a diagnosis.