Consumption of alcoholic beverages should always occur within reasonable limits, not to mention its use against the background of various diseases of the body. Diabetes and alcohol are two rather contradictory concepts. Opinions of experts about the possibility of diabetic use of alcoholic beverages are rather ambiguous and are based on individual indicators of the patient's state of the patient, the course of the disease, the therapy used. Whether it is possible to consume hot drinks in the case of an insulin-independent form of the disease is discussed in the article.
Features of type 2 diabetes
Glucose is a building and energetic material for the human body. Once in the gastrointestinal tract, complex carbohydrates are broken down into monosaccharides, which, in turn, enter the bloodstream. Glucose cannot enter the cell by itself, since its molecule is rather large in size. The “door” to the monosaccharide opens insulin - the pancreatic hormone.
The effect of alcohol on the human body
Drinking alcohol requires caution and moderation. An excessive amount of alcohol consumed and the regularity of such events lead to the following consequences:
- Negative impact on the brain and central nervous system. Ethanol reduces the amount of oxygen supplied to cells and tissues, leading to disruption of trophism.
- Cardiovascular pathology. Excessive alcohol consumption causes the development of coronary heart disease, exacerbates the manifestations of atherosclerosis, disrupts the heart rhythm.
- Diseases of the stomach and intestines. Ethanol has a burning effect, causing the formation of erosions and ulcers on the mucous membrane of the stomach and duodenum. Such states are fraught with malignancy, perforation of the wall. The normal functioning of the liver is impaired.
- Pathology of the kidney. Filtration processes of ethanol degradation products occur in renal nephrons. The mucous membrane is tender and prone to injury.
- There is a change in the quantitative indicators of hormones, blood formation processes are disturbed, the work of the immune system is reduced.
Diabetes and Alcohol
Diabetes mellitus type 2 is prone to the development of serious complications from the vessels of the brain, kidneys, heart, visual analyzer, lower extremities. Alcohol use also causes the development of such conditions. It can be concluded that alcohol should not be used against the background of diabetes, since it will only accelerate the occurrence of angiopathies.
Excessive alcohol consumption - a step towards the progression of the disease
It is important to know that ethanol can reduce blood sugar levels. And everything seems to be great, because diabetics need it, but the danger is that hypoglycemia does not develop immediately after drinking a drink, but after a few hours. The delay period may even reach days.
Hypoglycemia in the background of drinking has a delayed mechanism of development. It can even appear in healthy people if there was a lot of drunk, but little food was eaten. Ethanol provokes the depletion of the compensatory mechanisms of the body, splitting a large amount of glycogen stores and preventing the formation of a new one.
Manifestations of delayed hypoglycemia
In some cases, due to the fact that a person is drinking alcohol, it is difficult to differentiate the state of lowering blood sugar levels with intoxication, because the symptoms are quite similar:
- trembling limbs;
- nausea, bouts of vomiting;
- impaired speech clarity.
Coordination and vertigo disorder - possible signs of a sharp decrease in sugar on the background of alcohol intake
It is important that people who are surrounded by a person who consumes alcohol are aware of his illness. This will allow time to assist the patient if necessary.
To drink or not to drink?
Type 2 diabetes has a less predictable course, and therefore it is better to completely give up alcohol. The consequences of the tandem "pathology of the body-alcohol" are quite unpredictable, in which lies the danger. The development of at least one of the complications of diabetes (nephropathy, retinopathy, encephalopathy, etc.) is an absolute contraindication to alcohol.
What to choose from drinks
Winemaking products - one of the acceptable options. A moderate amount of red wine can even positively affect the body:
- will enrich with necessary microelements;
- widen the arteries;
- will remove toxic products;
- saturate with essential amino acids;
- reduce the amount of cholesterol in the blood;
- reduce the effect of stress on the cells of the body.
Dry red wine is an acceptable option for non-insulin-dependent diabetes
It must be remembered that the wine should be dry and in an amount of not more than 200-250 ml. In the extreme case, semi-dry or semi-sweet is allowed, having a sugar index of less than 5%.
Drink alcohol, having a strength of 40 degrees and above (vodka, brandy, gin, absinthe) is allowed in an amount of 100 ml per dose. It is necessary to determine the naturalness of the product and the absence of all sorts of pathological impurities and additives, since they can unpredictably affect the patient's body. It is permissible to use the prescribed amount of vodka no more than 2 times a week.
Without prefaces, it must be said that such a drink for any type of diabetes should be discarded. Beer has a low strength, but has a high glycemic index. It is 110 points, which means it is able to quickly raise the level of glucose in the blood.
In case of type 2 diabetes, the following drinks are prohibited:
- combination of strong drinks with sparkling water;
Fun Drinking Rules
There are a number of recommendations, observing that you can keep the indicators of sugar within acceptable limits and allow your body to relax a little.
- The above doses are valid for males. Women are allowed 2 times less.
- Drink only in combination with food, but do not go beyond the list of allowed products and a one-time calorie calculated by the endocrinologist.
- Use only high-quality drinks. The use of alcohol with various impurities, additives, preservatives can accelerate the development of complications and cause unpredictable reactions from the body.
- Avoid drinking alcohol in the evening so that delayed hypoglycemia does not appear during the night's sleep.
- Have available means for quickly raising the quantitative indicators of glucose in the blood.
- Have the self-control of sugar levels at home. Take measurements on an empty stomach, after eating and drinking, before bedtime.
- Consult with an endocrinologist about the need to reduce the dosage of glucose-lowering drugs.
Self-monitoring of sugar levels using glucometers is one of the important rules of drinking
There is a list of conditions under which alcoholic beverages are absolutely prohibited:
- pancreatitis in chronic form;
- liver disease in the form of cirrhosis or hepatitis;
- metabolic disorder (gout);
- the period of pregnancy and lactation;
- diabetes in the stage of decompensation;
- determination of ketone bodies in urine;
- the presence of at least one complication of the underlying pathology (retinopathy, nephropathy with renal failure, diabetic encephalopathy, cardiosclerosis, polyneuropathy, occlusion of lower limb arteries).
It is important to remember that the diet, which must be followed in the presence of diabetes, consists not only of food, but also of drinks. Careful attitude to the use of alcohol will allow you to maintain a high level of body health and prevent the development of complications of the disease.