In the process of treating diabetes, the drug Siofor is often used.
You should know the principle of its action on the patient's body and the features that can create problems.
The manufacturer of the product is Germany. The drug is based on Metformin and is intended to reduce the blood glucose concentration of diabetics.
General information, composition and release form
The tool is a tablet for oral administration. It is necessary to use the drug only by prescription of the attending physician, following his instructions regarding the dosage and frequency of use. Otherwise, Siofor can lead to complications.
This drug exists only in the form of tablets. They are white and oblong in shape. The main ingredient of their composition is Metformin.
In pharmacies there are several varieties of Siofor, which differ in the content of the active substance. These are tablets with dosages of 500, 850 and 1000 mg. Patients choose one or another type of medication based on the characteristics of their prescribed treatment.
In addition to Metformin, in the composition of the funds are additional components.
- silicon dioxide;
- magnesium stereat
Additional components provide the proper appearance of the drug, as well as contribute to improving the effectiveness of exposure.
Pharmacology and Pharmacokinetics
This drug is hypoglycemic, which allows it to be used to combat diabetes.
Reducing the level of glucose under its influence is achieved by the following features:
- slowing the absorption of sugar from the digestive tract;
- increased insulin sensitivity;
- a decrease in the rate of glucose production in the liver;
- active distribution of carbohydrates in muscle cells and utilization.
In addition, with the help of Siofor, you can reduce the amount of cholesterol in the body, which provides prevention of atherosclerosis. Often this tool is used for weight loss, because it helps reduce appetite and reduce weight.
The absorption of the active component occurs in the digestive tract. This occurs 2.5 hours after consumption. It is advisable to take before meals, because when the stomach is full, the drug acts more slowly and less effectively.
Metformin almost does not bind to plasma proteins and does not form metabolites. The excretion of this substance is carried out by the kidneys. It leaves the body unchanged. It takes about 6 hours for the half-life.
If the functioning of the kidneys is impaired, it will take longer to remove the medicinal component, due to which Metformin can accumulate in the body.
Video material from Dr. Malysheva about Metformin and its use for the treatment of diabetes:
Indications and Contraindications
Consideration of indications for use is very important when using any drug. Without the need to take drugs can not, because they can harm.
Siofor is intended for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. It is allowed to use it in a complex effect, but monotherapy is often practiced. Especially often it is prescribed to patients who, in addition to diabetes, have weight problems (obesity). The drug contributes to weight loss when it cannot be achieved with the help of diet and physical activity.
Siofor is contraindicated for some patients.
This applies to people with the following features:
- component intolerance;
- type 1 diabetes;
- coma or precoma caused by diabetes;
- ketoacidosis of diabetic origin;
- respiratory failure;
- recent myocardial infarction;
- the presence of liver failure;
- renal failure;
- the presence of tumors;
- recent or planned surgical interventions;
- severe infectious diseases;
- following a strict low-calorie diet;
- chronic alcoholism;
- natural feeding;
In the presence of any of these circumstances, the use of the drug must be abandoned.
Instructions for use
For the treatment to bring the maximum result, it is necessary to strictly follow the instructions.
The doctor should tell about how to accept Siofor. This is due to a host of factors that should be considered when selecting the dosage. Independently it is difficult to do.
In the absence of special circumstances, the drug is used as follows:
- When the content of Metformin 500 mg initial portion is 1-2 tablets. Further, the dose can be increased. The maximum amount is 6 tablets.
- When the content of the active substance is 850 mg, the administration starts with 1 unit. If necessary, increase the portion. The maximum amount allowed is 3 tablets.
- At a concentration of Metformin 1000 mg dose to start treatment - 1 tablet. Maximum - 3 tablets.
If a specialist recommended taking more than one piece per day, the reception should be divided into several times. The use of funds is carried out orally with the use of water without grinding. Effectively do this before eating.
It is necessary to continue therapy with this drug as much as prescribed by the attending physician. Without his orders, it is impossible to increase the portion - first you need to analyze the indicators of glucose.
Special patients and indications
Prescribing medication to four categories of patients should be cautious. The instruction provides for their specific rules - regardless of the other contraindications and restrictions.
- Pregnant women. Accurate information about the features of the influence of Metformin on the course of pregnancy and the development of the baby is missing. In this regard, the appointment of Siofor such patients avoided. At the beginning of treatment with this remedy, it is necessary to warn the woman that she should inform the doctor in case of pregnancy.
- Women practicing natural feeding. From animal studies it became known that the active ingredient passes into breast milk. The probability of harming the child is not confirmed. But the lack of similar information regarding people forces us to refuse to use the drug during this period.
- Childhood. Due to the lack of objective research on the benefits of this medicine, its use in children under 10 years of age is prohibited. In the interval between 10 and 12 years, drug treatment should be carried out under the supervision of a physician.
- Elderly people. Siofor is not dangerous for most elderly patients. Caution requires its use in patients who are often forced to engage in hard work (at the age of 60 years). Such people have an increased risk of lactic acidosis, therefore, the course of therapy should be observed by a specialist.
Regarding the remaining patients, the usual treatment is assumed.
Specific indications for Siofor include such diseases as:
- Liver failure. In such a pathology, the use of a medicine is prohibited, since its active component affects the functioning of this organ.
- Renal failure or impaired kidney function. The removal of the active element is carried out by the kidneys. With problems in their work, this process slows down, which is dangerous with Metformin accumulation. In this regard, renal disorders are contraindications for the use of this medication.
This drug, when properly used, does not provoke the development of hypoglycemic states. Therefore, when treating with its use, you can drive a car - Siofor does not affect its ability to drive.
If it is combined with other drugs, there is a risk of hypoglycemia, which can impair the ability to concentrate and impair the rate of reactions. This feature needs to be considered.
Side effects and overdose
Taking Siofor sometimes causes side effects.
Among the most common are:
- Allergy. It manifests itself in the form of skin reactions. To prevent its occurrence can be a preliminary test for sensitivity to the composition.
- Lactic acidosis.
- Disorders in the work of the digestive tract (bouts of nausea, abdominal pain, poor appetite). These features most often occur at the initial stage of treatment and are gradually neutralized as you get used to Metformin intake.
The likelihood of side effects is reduced if you follow the instructions. Their detection requires a visit to a doctor.
Overdose of the drug does not cause hypoglycemia, which is considered the most likely consequence. When taking too large a dose of Siofor, lactic acidosis develops, which is eliminated by hemodialysis.
Analogs of the drug
The need to use analogues is due to different reasons.
Siofor can be replaced with such drugs as:
These drugs are similar to the considered agent due to the identical composition.
You can also pick up synonymous drugs that contain another active ingredient.
The physician should choose a replacement agent, since it is important to take precautions when transferring from one medicine to another.
Siofor for weight loss - the views of patients
Because the medicine helps reduce appetite and reduce weight, some people use it for weight loss. This should be done only after consulting with a specialist. The effectiveness of using Siofor for such purposes can be learned by evaluating reviews losing weight.
Began to take Siofor on the appointment of an endocrinologist. First, the weight decreased slightly (3 kg in 2 weeks). But my appetite did not decrease, but increased, so the kilograms began to return. I'm afraid that instead of losing weight will be the opposite result.
Galina, 36 years old
Accept Siofor 1000 for 2 months. During this time, it took 18 kg of weight. I do not know whether the medication or diet has helped. In general, the effect is satisfied, there were no adverse reactions, the state of health is excellent.
Vera, 31 years old
I was appointed Siofor 3 years ago for the treatment of diabetes. The drug came up to me, there are no side effects, sugar regulates well, so I use it all the time. Over 3 years, weight decreased from 105 to 89 kg. Other weight loss products I do not use, just stick to a diet.
Larisa, 34 years old
I myself asked the doctor to prescribe me some medication to reduce the weight. For 3 months of using Siofor, it took me 8 kg. Also disappeared problems with the cycle. Now I do not use it, and the weight is in place. I think it is worth repeating the course.
Irina, 29 years old
Video on the use of Metformin for weight loss:
The drug is sold in pharmacies by prescription from the attending physician. Its cost varies according to the amount of active substance. To purchase the drug Siofor 500 you need 230-270 rubles.
At a dosage of 850 mg, the medicine will cost 290-370 rubles. A variety of drugs Siofor 1000 is distributed at a price of 380-470 rubles.