Glucophage is a hypoglycemic drug that shows high performance in the treatment of type 2 diabetes.
The tool quickly normalizes blood sugar levels. It is also popular among overweight patients.
General information, composition and release form
Glucophage Long is a diabetic drug of the biguanide class with the active component Metformin hydrochloride. Available in dosages of 500, 850, 1000 mg.
When ingested, it is quickly adsorbed. Maximum accumulation occurs within 2 hours after ingestion.
This allows to achieve the following results:
- normalize blood sugar levels;
- increase tissue response to the hormone produced;
- reduce the production of glucose by the liver;
- minimize the absorption of glucose by the intestines;
- to bring body mass back to normal;
- improve lipid metabolism;
- lower cholesterol.
Tablets are effective in pre-diabetes state.
The drug is on sale in pill form, covered with a white biconvex shell. The concentration of the active component is 500, 850, 1000 mg. For the convenience of the patient, the dosage of the drug is engraved on one half of the tablet.
Pharmacology and Pharmacokinetics
The composition of the tablets includes Metformin, which guarantees a pronounced hypoglycemic effect. In patients with elevated glucose levels, it decreases to normal. In people with normal glucose levels, blood sugar remains unchanged.
The action of the active component is based on the inhibition of gluconeogenesis and glycogenolysis, the ability to increase insulin sensitivity and decrease absorption in the gastrointestinal tract. In addition, this drug accelerates metabolic processes in the body and reduces cholesterol levels.
The maximum concentration of Metformin is noted in 2-3 hours after its administration. A feature of the Glucophage Long is a low degree of association with plasma proteins. The main active component is excreted by the kidneys and intestines for 6.5 hours.
After taking Glucophage, Metmorphine GIT is fully adsorbed. The active ingredient is rapidly distributed through the tissues. Most are excreted through the kidneys, the rest through the intestines. The process of cleansing the drug begins 6.5 hours after taking it. In patients with kidney problems, the half-life increases, which increases the risk of Metformin cumulation.
Indications and Contraindications
According to the instructions attached to Glyukofazh, it is indicated for type 2 diabetics suffering from obesity despite the observance of diet therapy.
Many patients use Glyukofazh in order to lose weight. In this case, you should follow a low-calorie diet and perform a daily set of physical exercises. This allows you to achieve excellent results in a short period of time.
As with any medicine, Glucophage has contraindications.
Taking the medicine is prohibited:
- people with intolerance to one of the components;
- with coma or diabetic ketoacidosis;
- in case of malfunction of the kidneys and heart;
- during exacerbation of chronic and infectious diseases;
- with the simultaneous intake of alcoholic beverages;
- in case of poisoning of the body;
- during pregnancy and lactation;
- with lactic acidosis;
- 2 days before radiography and 2 days after it;
- persons under 10 years;
- after heavy physical exertion.
Taking pills by older people is carried out under the supervision of a specialist.
Instructions for use
The minimum initial dose is 500 or 850 mg, which is divided into several doses. Tablets are consumed with or immediately after a meal. A change in dosage is carried out after a change in the sugar index.
The maximum dosage is 3000 mg per day, which is also divided into several doses (2-3). The slower the concentration of the active substance in the blood increases, the less will be side effects from the gastrointestinal tract.
When combining Glucophage Long with insulin, the recommended dosage is 500, 750, 850 mg 2-3 times a day. Insulin dosage is regulated by the doctor.
Tablets are used in combination with other drugs, and separately. In exceptional cases, admission is acceptable from the age of ten. The dosage is prescribed by the doctor based on the concentration of blood sugar levels. The minimum is 500 mg, the maximum is 2000 mg.
Special patients and indications
Before using the medication, you should consult with your doctor, study the side effects, and familiarize yourself with the recommendations for patients in a special group:
- Gestation period. Reception of Glyukofazh in the period of childbearing and lactation is strictly prohibited. Blood glucose is maintained through insulin injections. The ban on breastfeeding pills is due to a lack of research.
- Childhood. The use of Glucophage by children under the age of 18 is undesirable. Has the fact of the use of drugs by children 10 years. Medical supervision is a must.
- Elderly people. The drug should be taken with caution by elderly people suffering from kidney and heart disease. The course of treatment should be supervised by a specialist.
In certain diseases or conditions, the drug is taken with caution, or canceled altogether:
- Lactic acidosis. Occasionally occurs on the background of the use of Metformin, which is associated with the presence of renal failure in a patient. The disease is accompanied by muscle distortion, pain in the abdomen and hypoxia. If a disease is suspected, the drug should be discontinued and a specialist should be consulted.
- Kidney disease. In case of a malfunction of the kidneys, utmost care must be exercised, since the organ takes over the entire burden of removing Metformin from the body. Therefore, before starting to use the drug should pay attention to the level of creatinine in the serum.
- Surgical intervention. The pill is stopped two days before the operation. The resumption of treatment begins after a similar time.
With obesity, taking pills helps type 2 diabetics to normalize weight. On the part of the patient, it will be necessary to observe a healthy diet in which the number of calories must be at least 1000 kcal per day. Delivery of laboratory tests will monitor the condition of the body and the effectiveness of Glucophage.
Side effects and overdose
The list of side effects from taking the drug is based on numerous medical studies and patient reviews:
- Low Vitamin Absorption B12 causes the development of diseases such as anemia and lactic acidosis.
- Changing taste buds.
- On the part of the digestive tract there is diarrhea, pain in the abdomen, lack of appetite. Practice shows that this symptom is observed in most patients and passes within a couple of days.
- Urticaria is possible as an allergic reaction.
- Violation of metabolic processes can lead to unforeseen situations, as a result of which the immediate cancellation of tablets is possible.
Drug Interactions and Analogs
The hyperglycemic effect of the drug Danazol makes it impossible to combine it with Glucophage. If it is impossible to exclude the drug, the dosage of the means is adjusted by the doctor.
Alcohol-containing tinctures increase the risk of lactic acidosis.
High dosages of Chlorpromazine (more than 100 mg / day) are able to increase glycemia and reduce insulin release. Dose adjustment by physicians is required.
Co-administration of diuretics increases the risk of lactic acidosis. It is prohibited to take Glyukofazh when the level of creatinine is less than 60 ml / min.
Iodine-containing drugs used for fluoroscopy, in patients with kidney problems cause lactic acidosis. Therefore, in the diagnosis of the patient by radiography, the abolition of tablets is necessary.
Enhance the hypoglycemic effect of the drug sulfonylurea, insulin, salicylates, acarbose.
Analogs are understood as drugs intended for the replacement of the main drug, their use is agreed with the attending physician:
- Bagomet. Designed for patients with type 2 diabetes with pronounced obesity. Used in monotherapy and in combinations with insulin.
- Glycomet. A cure for type 2 diabetics prone to obesity. May be used for type 1 diabetes in combination with insulin.
- Dianormet. It helps to normalize the level of the hormone, especially for patients with impaired fat metabolism.
These analogues are popular and popular among type 2 diabetics.
From patient reviews, it can be concluded that Glucophage is sufficiently effective for correcting blood sugar, however, its use solely for weight loss is impractical, since the reception is accompanied by numerous side effects.
For the first time they heard about Glyukofazh from our grandmother, who suffers from type 2 diabetes and could not beat off any sugar before any medication. Recently, an endocrinologist appointed her Glucophage at a dosage of 500 mg twice a day. Surprisingly, the sugar level fell by half, no side effects were identified.
Ivan, 38 years old, Khimki
Glucophage accept recently. At first, a little sick and there was a feeling of discomfort in the abdomen. After about 2 weeks everything went away. The sugar index fell from 8.9 to 6.6. My dosage is 850 mg per day. Recently, it has probably begun to itch, a large dose.
Galina, 42 years old. Lipetsk
I accept Glyukofazh Long in order to lose weight. The dosage is adjusted by the endocrinologist. I started with 750. I eat as always, but the craving for food has decreased. Has become more likely to go to the toilet. Acting on me as a cleansing enema.
Irina, 28 years old, Penza
Glucophage is taken by appointment of a specialist. This is a serious drug for type 2 diabetics, not a weight loss remedy. This was reported to me by my doctor. For several months I have been taking it at 1000 mg per day. The level of sugar dropped quickly, and with it minus 2 kg.
Alina, 33, Moscow
Video from Dr. Kovalkov about Glucophage:
The cost of Glyukofazh depends on the dosage of the active substance and the number of tablets per pack. The minimum price is 80 rubles., The maximum - 300 rubles. It is worth noting that such a noticeable difference in price depends on the status of the enterprise, trade mark-up and the number of intermediaries.